Speed dating glasgow dating your spouse seperated
( Postcard published by Judges Ltd., Hastings ) This Valentine’s photo was taken at the same location in 1932 and the ornate street lights have now been replaced by more utilitarian ones with a longer reach, providing better illumination over the roadway.The policeman on point duty has stopped traffic so that the tramcar can turn right into Sauchiehall Street from Renfield Street. ) A tramcar heading for the International Exhibition at Kelvingrove Park is just turning into Sauchiehall Street from Renfield Street in this 1901 scene.This scene from an undivided back postcard is looking west along Sauchiehall Street from the Renfield Street intersection soon after the tramway had been electrified in 1901.The premises on the right are not yet occupied by Lumley’s and the adjacent building with the newsagent would be completely rebuilt and refitted as the Salon Cinema by June 1913.It attracted some big name performers and particularly in the years after the Second World War when American stars including Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Dorothy Lamour, Jack Benny and Danny Kaye played to packed houses.Perhaps a good way to start our journey down the Sauchiehall Street of yesteryear is with breakfast at Armstrong’s Hotel at the far eastern end of the street.This picture shows the building when it was owned by the YMCA and it remained so until it was demolished in the late 1950’s. ) This mid-1920’s view of Sauchiehall Street looking west was taken near the Renfield Street intersection.
Armstrong’s Hotel is on the left and on the right with its magnificent tower and Grecian temple front is St. The tower was taken down in 1957-58 to make way for St.During the First World War, the building was purchased by the YMCA and it became their Hostel for Soldiers and Sailors.After the war, the YMCA reopened the theatre as the Lyric Theatre.It was widened in 1846 and then in the 1850’s some of the older buildings were replaced with tenements and in the 1870’s with commercial properties.The 1896 Ordnance Survey map of Central Glasgow still shows some villas remaining on the north side of Sauchiehall Street in the section between Thistle Street and Scott Street.
Andrew’s House, a multi-storey office building, but the church itself remained in use until 1974.